Sunday, April 8, 2012
Pet Food Industry: Recalls & Warnings
1. Diamond Dog Food – Naturals Lamb Meal and Rice: Voluntary recall by the company due to potential salmonella contamination. No illnesses have been reported, the food was distributed only to 12 states and is for this specific formula only.
2. Yam Jerky Treats from China potentially causing illness with same symptoms as those that consumed potentially contaminated Chicken Jerky.
3. FDA sent health officials to Pet food manufacturers to inspect jerky treat production in China.
4. Whistleblowers targeted at FDA after food safety concerns are dismissed and investigation is launched: many food safety officials contacted private sectors after their safety concerns were dismissed by agency management. Upon doing so the FDA began spying on their employees by means of “target monitoring”—which was intercepting personal communications from the whistleblowers to Senator Grassley’s staff. Senator Grassley enraged at the audacity of the FDA launched an investigation while the six whistleblowers filed lawsuit against the FDA for targeting them.
5. Retailers pull “pink slime” but continue to sell chicken jerky treats. It’s been in our food for years and so far hasn’t had any complaints through the FDA—chicken jerky treats made from china however have over 600 complaints to the FDA.
Be careful what you purchase for your furry friends, always read the label, and use caution when purchasing imported products as they may not have been put up to as rigorous standards as products produced here. Report any illnesses associated with any foods or treats immediately to your veterinarian and the FDA. http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/ReportaProblem/ucm182403.htm
PS—Florida residents (Orlando area) we have kittens for adoption at my veterinary clinic! Contact me for details!